Pale yellow new-day
Dawning behind black trees,
A sunset in reverse.
Promise of today,
Seeping through the leaves,
Breaks the evening’s curse.
The sun, unseen, affects this change
With the light that it supplies.
The moon, suspended, in the West
Watches as the darkness dies.
If I had stayed inside today
I’d have never seen the hawks
Sparring in the February sun
Above this icy desert
Talons clamped on branches
A pair of hawks
Toast their plumage in the sun
I’m happy to report another exciting year in the world of byHerndon!
- All The Trees Clap Their Hands was premiered by the Milton High School Indoor Drumline and received a shout out from Chad Floyd who composed “Summer Treehouse” which was featured in the show as source music.
- The Tipping Point (performed by the Milton High School Marching Band) was selected as a BOA Powder Springs 3rd Place Finalist
- I had three new pieces published by Tapspace:
- Toboggan was performed by the Creekland Middle School Percussion Ensemble at the University of Georgia Middle School Band Festival
- Begin Transmission was performed by the Vandegrift High School Percussion Ensemble at the Midwest Clinic
I’d like to extend a sincere thank you to everyone who has shared my work with your students and audiences this year and the happiest of New Years to everyone.
Looking forward to 2018!
Continuing a five-year tradition, the 9th Grade Percussion class worked up Toboggan after the Fall Concert to perform at the Winter Concert.
They only had a week to do this! It’s a good example of how “easier” pieces can be appropriate for more advanced ensembles if the timeframe is short.
I was able to catch it from the catwalk in the auditorium.
The powder floats down
Like an infinite, sheer curtain.
and you can
Follow a single flake
Parachuting through the air
Until it lands and is lost,
Assimilated by the white frosting.
The lawn sparkles
Like the sea.
Pretzel stick limbs are smeared
With peppermint cream.
Every bush bows low
Under the weight
of pure, white snow.