I’m very grateful for another active year around byHerndon!
Here’s some of what went on:
- The North Gwinnett Middle School Percussion Ensemble performed Begin Transmission at the Georgia Music Educators Association In-Service Conference.
- I had two new pieces published through Tapspace:
- Song Without Words for percussion ensemble
- Great and Small for solo keyboard percussion with audio accompaniment
- Another piece was also accepted for publication so stay tuned for more info on that later…
Happy New Year!
In addition to being a fun piece to play and program on a concert, it is also a great way to introduce young students to multiple-percussion score reading and basic extended playing techniques and notation.
Vol. 56, No. 3, July 2018
You can check out the full review here.
There’s an impeccable performance of ‘Begin Transmission’ by Vandegrift High School Percussion Ensemble on iTunes from their concert at the Midwest Clinic in 2017.
Check it out!
Here’s an awesome performance of ‘Begin Transmission’ by Murrah High School Percussion Ensemble!
I’m happy to report another exciting year in the world of byHerndon!
- All The Trees Clap Their Hands was premiered by the Milton High School Indoor Drumline and received a shout out from Chad Floyd who composed “Summer Treehouse” which was featured in the show as source music.
- The Tipping Point (performed by the Milton High School Marching Band) was selected as a BOA Powder Springs 3rd Place Finalist
- I had three new pieces published by Tapspace:
- Toboggan was performed by the Creekland Middle School Percussion Ensemble at the University of Georgia Middle School Band Festival
- Begin Transmission was performed by the Vandegrift High School Percussion Ensemble at the Midwest Clinic
I’d like to extend a sincere thank you to everyone who has shared my work with your students and audiences this year and the happiest of New Years to everyone.
Looking forward to 2018!
Continuing a five-year tradition, the 9th Grade Percussion class worked up Toboggan after the Fall Concert to perform at the Winter Concert.
They only had a week to do this! It’s a good example of how “easier” pieces can be appropriate for more advanced ensembles if the timeframe is short.
I was able to catch it from the catwalk in the auditorium.
Begin Transmission finds itself in some very good company on this repertoire list from Christopher Dandele’s presentation, “SCHLAGZEUFEST! and Other Strategies to Create a Culture of Excellence in Your Percussion Section”. (That is a mouthful!)
Mr. Dandeles presented at the Illinois Music Education Conference in January, 2017.