In addition to being a fun piece to play and program on a concert, it is also a great way to introduce young students to multiple-percussion score reading and basic extended playing techniques and notation.
Vol. 56, No. 3, July 2018
You can check out the full review here.
Last year I released a piece entitled Jalopy that is dedicated to my grandfather, Cleo “Grandaddy” Herndon, who passed away in 2009.
During a trip in June to South Georgia I had the chance to play a recording of it for the most important audience that will ever hear it: Cleo’s widow, my grandmother, Rosalyn “Munnie” Herndon.
She recently turned 91 and lives in a nursing home where she says she is “blessed” to have people to take care of her and a private room to retreat to when she would like to be alone. Her room is full of books, artwork she made as well as some from her children and grandchildren, and pictures of her family.
Beside her bed is a picture of Cleo.
There’s an impeccable performance of ‘Begin Transmission’ by Vandegrift High School Percussion Ensemble on iTunes from their concert at the Midwest Clinic in 2017.
Check it out!
Middle school directors looking for a simple melodic work for their program would find a good candidate in Close Your Eyes and Dream. The possible addition of vocals also makes it a great opportunity to collaborate with choral directors, and the option to augment the forces with flexible instrumentation makes this a good piece to have in your library.
Vol. 56, No. 3, July 2018
You can read the entire review here.
Here’s an awesome performance of ‘Begin Transmission’ by Murrah High School Percussion Ensemble!
I’m happy to report another exciting year in the world of byHerndon!
- All The Trees Clap Their Hands was premiered by the Milton High School Indoor Drumline and received a shout out from Chad Floyd who composed “Summer Treehouse” which was featured in the show as source music.
- The Tipping Point (performed by the Milton High School Marching Band) was selected as a BOA Powder Springs 3rd Place Finalist
- I had three new pieces published by Tapspace:
- Toboggan was performed by the Creekland Middle School Percussion Ensemble at the University of Georgia Middle School Band Festival
- Begin Transmission was performed by the Vandegrift High School Percussion Ensemble at the Midwest Clinic
I’d like to extend a sincere thank you to everyone who has shared my work with your students and audiences this year and the happiest of New Years to everyone.
Looking forward to 2018!
Continuing a five-year tradition, the 9th Grade Percussion class worked up Toboggan after the Fall Concert to perform at the Winter Concert.
They only had a week to do this! It’s a good example of how “easier” pieces can be appropriate for more advanced ensembles if the timeframe is short.
I was able to catch it from the catwalk in the auditorium.